Saturday, September 10, 2016

Brace yourself: I'm about to criticize Dunkin.

I have a distinct tendency to get sick after final exams. The timing has ranged from a raging headache coming on during a molecular biology final, which led to some answers about molecular cloning that probably would’ve been a medical ethics violation, to spiking a fever in the Dallas airport while waiting for a connecting flight, but it’s been a constant throughout my college years: adrenaline-fueled week followed by an adrenaline crash, resulting in a totally sidelined semi-human. So completely predictably, I got home on Friday from my first week of co-op, lay down on my bed, and within a few hours was feverish and coughing my lungs out.

A reminder: when you’re talking to someone who learned English in a different country than you, think hard before you use slang or figures of speech that might seem obvious to you. Objectively speaking, the phrase “my roommate picked up a bug in a hostel and gave it to me”? Not all that clear. Actually a little alarming. Another phrase that’s caused confusion in a house with a Minnesotan roommate, a Dutch, and a Chilean: the rotary half a mile from our house, which can come up in daily conversation because it gives a great morning dose of “oh God, this is how I die” on the bike ride to the university. In some places in the U.S. it’s a roundabout; in some places it’s a traffic circle; in our house, it’s “the thing with all the cars” and then some vague hand gestures. Another puzzling, albeit less dangerous, part of the morning commute? A sign at a gas station advertising Seattle’s Best Coffee, which I drank all through high school on the West Coast and missed desperately when I came to Boston (read: I’m on a one-person boycott mission of Dunkin. There is no Dunkin where I come from—which, incidentally, is another phrase, like ‘traffic circle,’ that lifelong East Coasters don’t seem to fully grasp).  


Hopefully once I’m a fully functioning person again, these updates will get more interesting. For now I’ll tell you that one of Ireland’s most popular drinks is carbonated lemon-orange juice, which is everything I didn’t know I needed when I was sick, and that cough drops here are more than just artificial honey flavor in lozenge form, so you really can’t pop them like Halls. It took a few hours of being woozy out of my mind on cough medicine, and an admonition from my European roommate, before I realized what was going on. Next week I should be more alive-awake-alert-enthusiastic and ready to start taking on Ireland for real; right now, I’m gonna take another nap.

1 comment:

  1. Jules,

    You're too young to remember, but there was once a time when Dunkin Donut stores were quite abundant in western Oregon. Like the American bison, there once were vast herds of Dunkin Donuts as far as the eye could see. But alas, they have all but been eradicated in this part of America.

    Your Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete