Thursday, October 13, 2016

#WrongWayRenner

I wrote previously about finding a way to do things that feel familiar in a new place—not in order to stay within your comfort zone, but as a way of grounding yourself and making sure your life still feels like, well, your life. To that end, I’ll be running the Croi Galway Night Run this Friday. The route goes up and down the beautiful Galway Bay in Salthill from Mutton Island to Blackrock, and all the proceeds go to the Croi Heart and Stroke Center.




My old running injuries never seem to want me to race, and tend to flare up right before a race, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed on that one. The bigger concern is that it’s a night run. I know there are people reading this who’ve traveled with me and who know that my sense of direction is slightly inferior to that of a golden retriever puppy. I once got lost on a completely straight route on which, as one of my friends pointed out, if you sent a potato rolling with enough strength, the potato would successfully navigate that route. I was defeated by a root vegetable. So, as I’m trying to make it through the dark, I’m hoping there’s not a repeat of #WrongWayRenner2k11. (I’m openly offering myself up for mocking with this article, but it deserves better than languishing in the OregonLive archieves). Cross your fingers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment